Part 1.   (warning: pics at the bottom so please don’t look if it will make you uncomfortable.)

I was able to come Saturday afternoon and felt fairly good.  I moved around the house, watched Eric and Craig move my huge new desk upstairs (piece of cake), and didn’t even feel a tinge of nausea.  I decided I was going to feel awesome and have a very quick recovery and even planned some errands.  First things first though, I had to return to the hospital to have my drain removed.  No biggie.  Craig dropped me off and I headed up to the ENT unit, and into a small exam room with a dental like chair.

I asked a few questions, then the ENT resident pulled the drain, warning that it might feel “warm”.  Well, it didn’t feel warm, it felt hideous.  Painful.  Excruciating.  I’m not sure why, maybe it hit a nerve but it was a 10 on the 1-10 pain scale.  I started to get that hot, sweaty, nauseated feeling and warned Craig and the resident, who got me a trash can.

I woke up stretched out on the floor of the exam room, people holding down my limbs, with wet pants and lots of unfamiliar faces poking at me and asking me questions.  It was confusing, embarassing, and scary! They called a rapid response team and admitted me to the ER to check it out, as they suspected a seizure.  I spent yesterday feeling so incredibly exhausted.  The medicines are starting to bother me, and I don’t really feel like moving from the couch.

My lips and mouth are very weak, not so much that anyone can tell by looking at me, but it does make it hard to eat and there is no way that I can use a straw. My ear feels so weird, it is completely numb still and also around my head behind the incision.   The Percocet is keeping the pain in control, but I am worried about barfing again.  It’s been yucky.  I guess I would just describe it like not feeling like myself, unsettled and groggy.  I know everyone on the support groups have been extolling the virtues of patience in healing, but I know I am going to struggle with that.  I really hate feeling this way.

Once I feel like sitting up a bit more, I do have some projects to work on.  An adult coloring book of stain glass windows (thought it would be relaxing), pictures to sort and put in albums, Christmas thank-yous, and even some fabric to cut out for yet another unfinished quilt top.  I don’t think any of those things are going to happen today.  My goal for today is to change out of these scrubs and possibly take a bath.  That’s it.

And now, the pictures from Saturday.  I’ve been told she did a very good job with the stitches, though to me it is still a horrible thing to look at.

Eventually, the scar should be nearly invisible. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Some of the bruises on my face are where they STAPLED down the surgical drape. Thank God for anesthesia.


One response »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s